Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fertilization Report

Yesterday didn't go quite as expected. On Sunday we were told by our doctor that he anticipated retrieving between 25 and 35 eggs. Because of my high estrogen levels and high number of follicles, I was only given a half dose of the trigger shot on Sunday night to help lessen the effects of OHSS. Anyway, the egg retrieval yesterday went well, but it was extremely painful and hard on me. I am still in quite a bit of pain, but so far the symptoms of OHSS seem minimal (thank God). After the retrieval, my doctor informed me that he had retrieved 10 eggs. I was very confused as to why we only got 10 when there were so many others available. I just received a call this morning and learned a little more about what happened. Apparently one of my ovaries was very difficult for the doctor to get to and it was causing me a lot of pain. He retrieved eggs from both ovaries, but had to start weighing the risks and benefits to me and had to leave some behind. It was just becoming too difficult to get to some of the eggs. 10 eggs is good though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much about that. ANYWAY, here is the news about fertilization. Out of the 10 eggs that were retrieved, 8 were mature and 2 were immature. Out of those 8 that were ICSI'd (they injected a single sperm into each egg) - only 4 fertilized. 2 others fertilized later on, but they fertilized abnormally so they are no good. As of right now we have 4 fertilized eggs to work with. My babies!! Hopefully those 4 will continue to develop normally. We will not know the quality and grade of these until we go in on Friday. Our transfer is at 9 AM on Friday morning and I am praying very hard that we will have 2 good quality embryos to transfer and 'put back home' inside my uterus. I am very nervous. Please continue to pray with us and for our little ones. I also have an issue with my cervix and the doctors have a hard time with it so I have to drink more water than the average woman before the transfer. I will be a little uncomfortable, but it will be worth it. I am looking forward to a beautiful moment on Friday and coming home with pictures of my 'embabies'. I have a lot of mixed emotions right now about everything and am bummed with the number we ended up with after everything. But we only need 1 for this to work (although we would really love twins!). Now it's time to rest up, heal, and prepare my body for the big day :)

1 comment:

  1. Kristen I can't believe you are finaly "PUPO"!!!!! I'm so excited for you. I hope that everything goes smoothly over the next few weeks. Sending tons of love and hope your way!

    ReplyDelete